The pre-solo aeronautical knowledge test bellow is an example of what you can expect to receive from your CFI to complete at home based on your knowledge so far. You will then bring it back to your CFI, who will go over it with you and correct it to 100%, then retain it for their records. As you will be able to tell, the test bellow applies to just about any airplane you could fly, and is all knowledge you should be familiar with prior to flying solo for your first time.
You can print out the test below and complete it as a practice. Premium Gold Members and higher can email the completed test to firstname.lastname@example.org to be reviewed and graded by one of our CFIs and be provided with feedback of where you can improve.
PreSolo Written Exam
Pre-Flight Planning and Documents
- List the elements of proper preflight planning.
- Who is responsible for determining aircraft airworthiness?
- How is airworthiness determined?
- What documents are required on board the aircraft for all flights?
- What documents are students required to carry while flying solo?
- Explain the three classes of medical certificates and durations.
- Explain the endorsements required for solo flight, and where they are located.
- When flying solo, are you allowed to carry passengers?
- Who is the Pilot In Command during a student solo flight and how is it logged?
- What are the required fuel reserves for VFR day and night flights?
- You may not fly as pilot of a civil aircraft within ______ hours after consumption of any alcoholic beverage, or while you have _____ % by weight or more alcohol in your blood.
- List the minimum equipment and instruments that must be working properly in your aircraft for day VFR flight?
- If equipment not required by regulation and the aircraft certification is not working what steps must be taken prior to flight?
- What is the total usable fuel capacity?
- What is the correct fuel grade and color?
- Where are the fuel drains located? When are they drained and why?
- What is the minimum operating oil level?
- When should the pilot have the seat belt fastened? Shoulder harness?
- Why are there two magnetos?
- What is the maximum allowable RPM drop during magneto check on run-up?
- What is the first indication of carburetor ice and what is the corrective procedure?
- During engine run-up you cause rocks, debris and propeller blast to be directed toward another aircraft. Could this be considered careless and reckless operation?
- Describe the emergency procedures for a partial or complete engine failure.
- What are the zero flap and full flap approach speeds?
- What is the max allowable flap setting for takeoff?
- Explain the procedure for executing a go-around.
- Aircraft V-speeds: Definition and speed in KIAS:
- Definition and KIAS for:
Best Glide Speed:
Max Crosswind Component:
- At what time of day must the aircraft’s position lights be turned on?
- If there is no altimeter setting available, what setting should be used for a local flight?
- What are the basic VFR weather minimums, according to the FAR’s?
- Define MVFR.
- What are the student pilot limitations concerning visibility and flight above clouds?
- Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, what is considered to be minimum safe altitude for all flight situations?
- What is the minimum safe altitude over a congested areas?
- When two aircraft are approaching each other head-on, in which direction should each pilot alter course?
- Which aircraft has right-of-way when one aircraft is being overtaken by another? In what direction should the overtaking aircraft’s course be altered for safety of the flight?
- Explain traffic pattern procedures at uncontrolled airports.
- In case of getting lost, what is your plan of action?
- What is the minimum safe altitude for practicing maneuvers?
- Where are the practice areas located?
- What must you do prior to practicing maneuvers?
- What is Carbon Monoxide poisoning? What are the symptoms? Under what situations is it most prevalent and what can be done to prevent it?
- How can you determine if a runway is closed?
- In what airspace is a Mode C transponder required?
- Which aircraft has the right of way when two aircraft are on final approach at the same time?